The name of this yoga comes from Sanskrit language in which bhujanga means snake and asana means posture. So in English language this pose is also known as "Cobra Pose". This pose resembles the serpent with its hood raised.
|Cobra Pose Yoga Steps and Benefits|
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana) Yoga Steps
- Lie on your stomach with your toes flat on the floor and forehead resting on the ground.
- Keep your legs close together, with your feet and heels lightly touching each other.
- Place your hands (palms downwards) under your shoulders, keeping your elbows parallel and close to your torso.
- Taking a deep breath in, slowly lift your head, chest and abdomen while keeping your navel on the floor.
- Pull your torso back and off the floor with the support of your hands.
- Checkpoint: Are you putting equal pressure on both the palms?
- Keep breathing with awareness, as you curve your spine vertebra by vertebra. If possible, straighten your arms by arching your back as much as possible; tilt your head back and look up.
Checkpoints about Cobra Pose
- Are your shoulders away from your ears? Keep your shoulders relaxed, even if it means bending your elbows. With regular practice, you will be able to deepen the stretch by straightening the elbows.
- Ensure that your feet are still close together. Keep smiling and breathing. Smiling Cobras!
- Don’t overdo the stretch or over-strain yourself.
- Breathing out, gently bring your abdomen, chest and head back to the floor.
Considerations and Precautions
Don't do this yoga if you are pregnant, have fractured ribs or wrists, or recently underwent abdominal surgeries, such as for hernia and also avoid doing this pose if you suffer from Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.
Benefits of the Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Expands the chest.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Reduces fatigue and stress.
- Useful for people with respiratory disorders such as asthma.
- Opens up the shoulders and neck.
- Tones the abdomen.
- Strengthens the entire back and shoulders.
- Improves flexibility of the upper and middle back.