Mouth Ulcers Home Remedies, Causes and Symptoms. Mouth ulcers are also known as Canker sores. Mouth ulcers are small, shallow lesions that develop on soft tissues in the mouth. They can also develop at the base of your gums. Canker sores are very painful. The person suffering from canker sores face difficulty in eating and talking. Most of the time canker sores go away in a week or two. In this article, I will tell you some best home remedies for mouth ulcers or canker sores that will give you relief in pain.
|Mouth Ulcer Image|
What Causes Mouth Ulcers
Causes of mouth ulcers are given below:
- A major injury to your mouth by accidentally biting inside your cheek while you are eating.
- Mouth rinses and toothpaste containing sodium lauryl sulphate also becomes a cause of the ulcer.
- Lack of Vitamin B-12, zinc or iron can also cause the ulcer.
- Ulcers also cause by hormonal shifts during menstruation.
- Emotional stress is also a cause of canker sores or mouth ulcer.
- Food sensitivities especially from coffee, chocolate, eggs, nuts, acidic or spicy foods.
Symptoms of Canker Sores
Canker sores are of several types including major, minor and herpetiform sores. Various symptoms of canker sores or mouth ulcers are given below.
Canker sores are oval and round in shape.
They are white, grey or yellow in colour.
They have a red edge.
Major canker sores are larger and deeper than minor ulcers and may have irregular edges when very large.
Major canker sores are very painful.
Mouth Ulcers Home Remedies
As I told above canker sores or ulcers go away by own in 1-2 weeks. But if you feel extremely pain and face difficulties then follow given below home remedies for the treatment of canker sores or ulcers:
#1. Coconut Milk
Coconut Milk is a good home remedy for the treatment of canker sores or ulcers.
- Extract milk by grating fresh coconut. Now gargle with this coconut milk for about 3-4 times a day. You can also massage coconut milk on affected areas.
- Alternatively, Mix 1 tbsp of honey in coconut milk. Now massage the affected area with this mixture. Do this 2-3 times a day.
#2. Coriander Leaves
Coriander leaves are the best home remedy that can reduce inflammation and pain of your ulcers.
- Boil some coriander leaves in water. Let the water cool down and gargle lukewarm water for at least 3-4 times a day to get effective results.
- Alternatively, you can boil 1 tbsp of coriander seeds in one cup of water. Strain it well and allow it to cool down. Now gargle with it 2-3 times a day.
#3. Basil Leaves
Chew 5-6 pieces of holy basil leaves and drink some water. Do this treatment 4-6 times when you get ulcers.
#4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is an effective and easy home remedy for ulcers. Take 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel and apply it on the affected area this will work as a natural antiseptic and helps you to reduce pain.
Most Popular Artice: How to make hair straight and silky naturally
#5. Turmeric and Glycerin
A mixture of turmeric and glycerin is very effective for curing ulcers. To make this mixture follow given steps:
- Take one pinch of turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of glycerin. Mix them properly and apply it on affected area to get effective results.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tbsp of honey with 1/4 tbsp of turmeric paste. Now rub this mixture on the affected area.
Ice is an also a good home remedy for ulcers. Rub ice on the affected area to reduce pain. Ice is mainly helpful when you apply ice on the mouth ulcers as soon as you experience symptoms of ulcers like burning sensation, tingling before shallow ulceration appears.